The VP of Operations (VPO) reports directly to the President/CEO and has a senior leadership role within the company.
The VPO will be responsible for all production manufacturing activities including personnel, equipment, processes, technology, safety, security, quality, and costs. The VPO will be expected to cross-collaborate with managers of other functions, devise and implement operational strategies, and track and improve progress to meet goals.
- 5 + years of senior operations leadership experience with high volume, high-tech printing and mailing production facility with over $20M in annual sales.
- 10 + years of manufacturing leadership experience, including P/L responsibility.
- Experience in managing operations of 50+ staff and hourly (Union) employees operating 3 shifts.
- US citizen or permanent resident for more than 5 years.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Demonstrated experience working with shop floor data systems and analytics a significant plus.
- Bachelor degree required. Master degree or MBA preferred.
- Actively manage and lead a team of department directors (direct reports) across all production operations including Production Administration (Estimating, Procurement, Inventory, Scheduling, and Client Service) Manufacturing Operations (Prepress, Digital, Offset, Finishing, Mailing, Logistics, and Facilities), and Technology (IT, Data, MIS, Network).
- Provide leadership, guidance, and direction to all production employees.
- Oversee day-to-day operations to ensure optimization, quality, safety, security, and budgetary standards are being met.
- Possess the ability to handle multiple priorities and address present concerns while keeping an eye on future opportunities.
- Conduct regular department directors’ meetings (and supervisor meetings) with pre-planned agenda based on conversations with the President/CEO and VP of Business & Finance.
- Strengthen relationships with key Fort Orange Press partners for paper, materials, equipment manufacturers, and outsource partners.
- Urgently address any production crises/issues as they arise and adjust production promptly to resolve them.
- Develop and update department goals consistent with the facility’s strategic business plan, mission, and vision.
- Provide recommendations to the President/CEO on programs and processes for meeting company and area goals.
- Actively participate in regular meetings with the President/CEO, offering ideas, insights, and recommendations on company policies, processes, services, new business opportunities, and other topics that improve company results.
Procedures (Quality and Safety)
- Establish and assure all processes have been documented and are adhered to through Standard Operating Procedure manuals for all production operations.
- Establish and update department supervisors and directors’ job duties.
- Continually drive employees to deliver a safe and clean workplace.
- Ensure that all safety and security policies and procedures are followed including accident reporting, investigation, primary cause analysis, corrective action, implementation, and follow-up.
- Commit to a full understanding and governance of all collective bargaining units’ contracts.
- Work with President/CEO and VP of Business & Finance in achieving financial & sales goals and key updates and metrics.
- Review company (P/L) Income Statements to gross profit line of statement and establishment of department directors’ monthly income statements for each of their departments and review.
- Develop and manage operating and capital budgets company-wide and across departments to achieve annual goals.
- Determine the need for labor, space, materials, and yearly capital equipment expenditures, along with cost analysis and justification for discussion with the President/CEO and VP of Finance & Business.
- Ensure effective staffing, training, and employee development for continuous improvement and efficient area operations.
- Interview, hire, review, and mentor the operations management team.
- Work with other inside and outside resources to establish training programs for all production departments.
- Oversee training of all operations personnel, establishing a standard report out with a weekly review process that drives sustainable results.
- Drive engagement of the team including professional development and team building.
- Establish a matrix of how production operations are measured by each job function with a goal of cost reductions, cycle time reductions, and quality improvements.
- Perform data analytics to drive strategic action plans for business operations metrics.
- Monitor manufacturing performance in real-time and post-mortem to proactively identify efficiency issues and propose solutions.
- Provide regular performance updates to the President/CEO.
- Maintain professional and effective communication to all levels, stimulating initiatives, innovations, and motivation for continuous improvements.
- Foster a work environment that encourages people to act with integrity and treat each other and their ideas with respect.
- Create an atmosphere of trust and teamwork that values the contributions of all employees in support of a high-performance culture to ensure efficient, cost-effective operations.
- Help others resolve conflict to minimize damage to the relationships and promote shared goals and facilitate agreement.
- Maintain regular communications with the President/CEO and subordinates.
- Communicate throughout the shift with hourly employees to ensure a constant exchange of ideas, concerns, and information.